|1. Hiluckey||2. Okmee||3. Solatec|
If you have a lovely garden or outdoor space, the chances are that you are surrounded by birds of different kinds.
It is not uncommon to see regular feeder birds like warblers, tanagers, finches, sparrows, and woodpeckers singing, mating, and nesting in your area. It is indeed a joy for any garden enthusiast or bird lover to see different avian species in their surroundings.
Well, like any other species, the birds too need water for drinking and cooling down, especially in the hot weather. Birds do love basking in the sun’s rays, but would love to have a spot where they can enjoy a refreshing cool drink and bath on a particularly warm afternoon.
This is where the best solar birdbath fountain step in, as they serve as a great source of freshwater for the birds in your vicinity.
Water is very important for birds to survive, as they need it for drinking as well as preening. Having a birdbath fountain in your garden or backyard ensures that the birds are provided with an attractive space to enjoy the water.
If you place a solar birdbath fountain in your outdoors, you will not only beautify your space, but will also comfort the birds.
A bird bath fountain is not just a simple basin filled with water. There are special components that are arranged and fitted carefully so as to ensure a steady flow, spray, and splashing of the water. A bird fountain will always have a pump to circulate the water, and it can be solar, electric, or battery-powered.
The capacity of the birdbath fountain pump can vary, and the bigger the fountain, the more powerful the pump it will need.
So, before you go ahead and get more information about the best solar birdbath fountains, it is essential to know what they are about, how they work, how to choose the best one, and other related information.
Factors To Look For When Buying The Best Solar Birdbath Fountain
Buying a solar birdbath fountain is indeed good not just for the birds, but for yourself too, as birdwatching is a great de-stressor, plus, you sustain local wildlife in your own yard. The sight of the trickling water, birds flitting in and out, and the sounds of nature can indeed calm your mind.
Wouldn’t you love to buy a great looking solar birdbath for your garden? Well, here are a few factors to keep in mind before you make the final purchase.
1. Pump With Or Without Batteries
Solar Birdbath fountain pumps consist of the solar panel, pump, and sprinkler, and these need to be placed into water to run the fountain. The pump in the birdbath pump is powered by the sunlight.
In the standard solar fountains, the panel is connected to the pump with a cord. Thus, under bright sunlight, the bird bath fountain will work continuously.
The Birdbath fountain pumps come with or without a battery that is used to power the pump. If you want your fountain to work even during the night, look for a pump with batteries.
2. Size Of The Pump
The size of pump will rely on the size of the solar birdbath fountain itself. It is essential to buy the right sized pump, and you need to keep in mind the size of the birdbath, the volume of water that needs to be pumped, and how high you want to regulate the water.
A low-volume unit is meant to handle small amounts of water, while a high-volume unit can create a dazzling effect by pumping large volumes of water at good height. Typically, a fountain pump sized 18 to 24 inches can handle 45 to 60 gallons of water every hour. So, go for bigger or smaller pumps based on your needs.
3. Wattage Used In Birdbaths
The solar birdbaths generally run on a low wattage of energy and do not need too much sun to run effectively. However, the larger birdbath fountains need a slightly higher wattage to run the more powerful pump.
4. Material Of Birdbaths
The solar birdbaths are made of different materials, and based on what your needs are and the kind of style you think would suit your outer space, one can choose the materials. Plastic is the most commonly used material for solar birdbaths, but you can look for other material options too.
Solid stone solar birdbaths look great, but can be heavy and expensive. Ceramic, clay or terracotta solar birdbath fountains are reasonably priced and look attractive, but they are fragile and not so durable.
5. Power Backup
Many solar birdbaths carry a battery as a backup for their power. The solar panels stop working once the sun goes away. However, if they store any excess power in a battery, the birdbath fountain can keep on working even during the late evening and night hours.
6. Spray Patterns And Styles
The majority of solar birdbath fountains offer different types of patterns in the spray. Thus, one can change and adjust the fountain by simply switching from one nozzle to another.
7. Use Of LED Lights
Today, people prefer solar birdbath fountains with LED lights that turn on after dark. However, these models carry a heavy battery backup to store extra power for the LED lights.
Reasons To Buy A Solar Birdbath Fountain
Instead of electricity run birdbath fountains, there are several reasons why you should consider buying solar powered ones.
Solar-powered birdbaths are a lot more than just a beautifying element for your spacious garden or backyard. Apart from providing fresh water to the birds, the birdbaths indeed come with numerous other benefits. Here are some:
- The major reason to buy a solar birdbath fountain is because it runs on solar energy and does not require any non-renewable sources for operation.
- The birdbath fountains can attract different varieties of birds in your garden and thus are a great addition to your outdoors. Different kinds of birds will visit your garden and inhabit there.
- The solar-powered birdbaths are energy efficient and usually low on maintenance, as they get their power from the sun. You just need to ensure that the birdbath is placed in a sunny location.
- They are easy to install and maintain as well as easy to clean. You can install them without any help and can rinse it and change the water regularly for cleanliness and maintenance.
- Most birdbath fountains are made of solid and durable materials, and with proper care, they can last for years even under harsh weather conditions.
- The solar birdbath fountains indeed make for a lovely gift, and your friends and family members would love them if they are fond of their garden and love birds.
- Solar-powered fountains look very appealing, not just to the owner of the garden, but the visitors and passers-by as well. They create a spark of interest among your family, guests, and others.
Before you go ahead and decide to buy the best solar birdbath fountain in the market, consider the pros and cons of having a birdbath fountain in your house.
- What you will like:
You will definitely love the look of a beautiful solar birdbath fountain in your outdoor and how its gentle splashing sound attracts your feathery friends in the neighborhood. The sight of the soft flow of water and flitting in and out of colorful birds and their chirping sounds can indeed be pleasing for the senses.
The flow of moving water discourages the growth of algae and keeps mosquitoes or other insects away. A larger birdbath fountain with multiple tiers indeed looks magnificent and can take care of greater number of birds and with no need for constant refills.
- What you may not like:
While the sight of a solar birdbath fountain in your front or backyard is indeed a pleasing addition to the outdoors, having the fountain comes with some responsibilities. As the water can evaporate quickly, especially with the smaller sized fountains, you need to make an effort to keep an eye on the water level and refill as and when necessary.
In case the water level is too low, the pump will not work as efficiently. The bird bath fountains with pumps tend to be more expensive than simpler models. In case you live in areas with freezing temperatures, those fountains may not prove to be very useful.
The major drawback of solar birdbath fountains is that if they are 100% solar powered, they cannot work in low sunlight conditions. If the sky is cloudy or if you place it under a tree, then it may not work as efficiently as it should. But the basic idea behind buying a solar powered fountain is to conserve energy, and you won’t want to spoil that purpose by buying one with battery backup.
Top 20 Best Solar Birdbath Fountains 2021
The free-standing solar birdbath fountain is easy to use and looks great in outdoor space and garden. Thanks to the built-in 800mah battery, it means that the solar-powered fountain can work well even if there are clouds in the sky. The fountain starts working within 3 seconds of exposure to the sun.
This solar birdbath fountain is designed for those who love nature and art. Just attach the desired spray nozzle to get a jet height up to 20 inches, and change the water spray display according to your preferences. Add more fun and life to your garden with the 18 cm diameter of solar panel that comes with a water-level monitoring system.
- Super easy to set up
- Different spray nozzles
- Elegant design that is easy to clean
- Doesn’t pump as strong is placed in shade
OKMEE Solar Birdbath Fountain is a perfect addition to your garden, and its compact size makes it easier to handle and shift. The creative integrated 4 in 1 nozzle and spray mode switch allows you to enjoy a higher diversity of spray with varying height and shapes. Rotate the nozzle for four water styles and three different spraying modes.
The superior solar panel is 30% more effective and will work even if the sun goes away for a short while. Look forward to lesser clogging because of the upgraded Filtration box that can block dirt, dust, and leaves. The best thing is that it can be fixed to the bottom or side of the water bowl, so that it does not stay floating in water.
- Upgraded material
- 100% full solar panel
- 4 in 1 nozzle
- Could use some improvements in instruction manual
If you are looking for an affordable Solar Fountain for your garden, then the Solatec Black Solar Fountain makes for a great choice. The eco-friendly and low-maintenance fountain is very competent and boasts of four diverse kinds of nozzles for different water patterns.
Get this solar birdbath for your garden and just ensure that there is enough water in the fountain, and the panels are exposed to direct sunlight. The shower head effect creates a gentle water surface for hummingbirds & honey bees. The floating fountain pump is very easy to use.
- Light weight and affordable
- Eco-friendly and with four nozzles
- Starts working within 2 seconds of receiving sunlight
- 100% solar powered fountain with no battery backup
- Does not work at night or in low sunlight conditions
IDEALHOUSE solar birdbath fountain comes with four nozzles for a variety of spray patterns. The birdbath fountain looks elegant and is completely powered by solar energy. Go ahead and adjust the nozzles for the kind of water pattern you need.
A built-in brush-less motor consumes lesser energy and provides more than 10000 hours of service life. Keep the birdbath in direct sunlight, as it cannot work without sunshine. There is a lot more to like about this well-designed solar birdbath with a fountain that floats on the surface.
Just enjoy watching your feathered friends come in for a drink or a nice bath.
- 4 pattern nozzles
- No use of electricity or batteries
- Solar disk with smaller diameter
- Cannot work in low sunlight conditions
It takes just a couple of minutes to set up the Skywoo Solar floating fountain pump, which can enhance the beauty of your garden in just no time, thanks to its upgraded design. The fountain pump itself looks like a beautiful flower and is sure to catch the eyes of all passers-by.
The solar-powered fountain is environment friendly and comes with four different size nozzles for varying flow patterns. The only condition is that you need to place it in direct sunlight for maximum performance, as there is no battery. But after all, 100% solar power is the basic idea behind buying a solar floating fountain.
Enjoy 12 months warranty and 30 days money back facility from the company.
- 100% solar powered
- Upgraded design
- Easy to install and use
- Cannot work in low sunlight
AMYER Solar birdbath fountain looks dazzling and is sure to attract the attention of neighbors along with the birds. Without any battery, the 100% solar birdbath fountain runs completely on solar energy. Thanks to its uniquely designed and upgraded solar panel, the fountain can work even in weaker sunlight, though not as efficiently as it would in full sunlight.
Choose from 4 types of nozzles to create different spray patterns, as the water reaches 32 inches of height on maximum flow. Customers simply love the product because of its powerful performance and good looks. Moreover, it is very easy to set up, and the more sun your garden receives, the more power it would generate.
- Super easy to setup
- 4 different spray patterns
- Looks attractive
- Available in 2 different sizes
- Need to be cleaned regularly for maximum efficiency
Most people buy this Solar Birdbath to make a beautiful addition to their garden as well as to accentuate their dark corners. As the solar cells in it store energy, you end up saving money and energy and still enjoy the beautiful ambiance created by the Bird Bath at night or during low sunlight hours.
The easy to remove nozzle makes it easy to clean and maintain the Solar Birdbath. The solar cells store energy to light up your patio, deck, or garden even when it gets dark. Made of high-quality glass, the Solar Birdbath is indeed a great addition to your garden.
It is indeed a very decent budget fountain that is both great and sturdy.
- Made of high-quality glass
- Available in 6 attractive designs
- Ambient lighting for dark areas
- Beautiful 18 inches glass basin
- Contains solar cells so that it can keep running even in low sunlight
- Instruction manual difficult to understand
- A little expensive than others
8. Peaktop Outdoor
This easy-to-use Peaktop fusion glass birdbath is super easy to set up and use. Thanks to its intuitive and decorative design, the birdbath sure can be the centerpiece of your garden and outdoors. This aesthetically pleasing bird bath is just perfect for your patio, deck, yard, or garden.
Made of high-quality fusion glass and metal, the energy-efficient bird bath with solar cells looks very pretty when it lights up at night. The lighting works perfectly and efficiently while those gorgeous colors on the heavy glass look simply gorgeous.
- Foldable metal stand for easy relocation
- Pretty garden decoration
- Made with high quality fusion glass
- LED lights light up at night
- Available in 2 attractive colors
- Wobbling stand when placed on uneven surface
With an eye-catching fountain design, it’s no surprise that this round bird bath water fountain is one of the most popular in the market. It is commonly used for ponds, birdbaths, fountains, aquariums, pools, or for aeration.
The eco-friendly fountain is powered entirely by solar energy, however it comes with battery too that operate the fountain for at least 2 hours in the dark.
The LED lights provide enough brightness for the birds at night. The water fountain floats gently on top of the water surface, and you can enjoy different water spray designs due to the interchangeable nozzle heads that come with it. This is especially great and useful when entertaining guests outdoors.
- Eco-friendly and easy to use
- Built-in battery
- LED lights
- Interchangeable nozzles
- Very well priced
- Works only if the bowl is full of water
Lailme has gone all out with this fountain pump for bird bath that is solar-powered. With complete solar energy support, the new model can create a water spray more than 23 inches high. It is a powerful fountain pump with a decent battery backup.
Enjoy different fountain patterns with four different types of the nozzles. Adjust the spray head according to your needs, and the convenient size and great functioning make it reasonable for bird bath, pool, garden, and a small pond. Create beautiful patterns with this well-designed and very affordable fountain pump for bird bath.
- Powerful solar energy panel
- Fabulous price
- Contains battery backup so that it can keep working even under low sunlight
- 4 different nozzle designs
- Nothing to anchor the unit down
- Does not work well in a shallow bird bath
The Ankway solar birdbath fountain pump is an eco-friendly solar fountain pump that is known for its convenient function design. With no battery or electricity needed, the fountain pump runs automatically and allows simple cleaning and maintenance.
The numerous kinds of spraying style in the fountain pump create a variety of spray patterns. The whole set up is very easy to install and move. The solar fountain pump is perfect for garden decoration, small pond, fish tank, and water circulation for oxygen.
- Free-12-month after-sales service
- Highly efficient solar panel
- 8 kinds of spraying styles
- Worth the price
- Does not have a battery backup
12. Amyer Fuente
Most people purchase AMYER Solar Birdbath Fountain for different fountain height and patterns as well as for its versatile use in the birdbath, pool, garden, fish tank, and small pond. This is a great purchase, as it not only beautifies the outdoors, but is energy efficient and helps to save money as well.
Without a battery, the eco-friendly Solar Birdbath Fountain is completely controlled with solar power. The 1.5W solar panel enjoys a lifetime of more than 10000H. The different types of nozzles create different fountain height and patterns, and the max water height can reach 28 inches.
The Fountain starts functioning within 3 seconds of the sunlight. However, it works only when it is exposed to full sun.
- Easy to set up and install
- More than 10,000 hours lifespan
- Multiple applications
- Only works in full sun
- Does not work when the panel is dirty or clogged
All you need to do is just put it carefully on the water surface and allow it to float, and its energy-competent solar panels with an upgraded solar panel circuit start working immediately.
Thanks to its intuitive design & blocking protection, the pump works efficiently in sunlight and will automatically stop working in case of any shade or blockage. Thus, one can enjoy a prolonged life of the fountain as far as it is placed in full sunlight area.
The high quality solar laminated panel won’t break or get deformed and thus will last longer. A professional and reliable customer service support only adds to the attractiveness of this product.
- High quality solar panel
- Professional after-sales service
- Blocking protection
- Performance does not get affected with minor blockage
- Can work in low sunlight, but does not work at night
14. The Paragon
This free-standing solar birdbath pump from The Paragon is easy to set up and start. Equipped with a new brushless pump and highly efficient solar panels, the solar fountain pump is about 6¼” in diameter.
It is perfect for placing in a small pond, garden decoration, birdbath, and water circulation for oxygen.
The multipurpose solar birdbath fountain pump powered by the sun runs automatically and comes with four different spray head options.
You can create different water patterns with this unique solar fountain that is multipurpose and multi-functional. Its convenient design makes it easier to clean or move to different locations.
- Eco friendly
- Easy to use
- 4 nozzle head types
- Not that impressive
- No fountain at all when no sunlight
With a decorative style and different patterns, the Smart Solar Birdbath is sure to enhance the beauty of any garden. It just takes a couple of minutes to put together this amazing Birdbath, and it instantly creates a relaxing atmosphere in your garden, deck, balcony, pool, or patio.
Made of glass-fiber reinforced concrete, the Smart Solar Birdbath functions only in direct sunlight and is low on maintenance. It is easy to clean and wipe down its surface as well as drain, rinse and refill the Birdbath.
With an olive-green finish, the low voltage water pump with filter can easily and efficiently recycle water from the hidden reservoir.
Simply install and enjoy this lightweight and durable Solar Birdbath that comes with no wiring and no operating cost.
- Patented integral solar panel and pump
- No operating costs
- Easy maintenance
- Two fountain heads
- Works only when the sun is bright
The high quality and durable fountain can be easily moved wherever you want. Easy to assemble and clean, there are four different spray heads to create different kinds of sprays.
The fountain is equipped with a new brushless pump and high-efficiency solar panels. The solar birdbath fountain should be charged for half an hour before first use, and it is important to remove the protective film on the solar panel to give it full sun exposure.
- 100% warranty and professional customer service
- Different water patterns
- Very decent budget fountain
- Fountain sprays a bit too high
The simple and elegant birdbath fountain is a great outdoor addition and sprays out continuously as far as there is full sunlight. You can look forward to power efficiency and higher stability with this fountain that runs automatically and smoothly under enough sunlight.
The monocrystal silicon solar panel can create water height up to 23 inches, which is just the right height. Place it in a small pond, pool, birdbath, fish tank, or for garden decoration in a water jar. Enjoy one-year warranty and great customer service and support.
- Perfect spray height of 23 inches
- Power efficient
- Easy to set up and operate
- Suction cups too small
- Works well only under full sun
18. Sunnydaze 2-Tier
Get one of the top-notch solar birdbath fountains that make for a perfect garden accent. Weighing about 15 pounds, the birdbath fountain comes with a solar panel measuring 6 x 8 inches and 16 feet cable that connects the panel with the fountain.
The dry-run protection keeps the pump protected and turns it off when the water level is lower than needed. Made of a polyresin material, the 2 Tier Citadel fountain is loved by all because of its easy-to-maintain construction.
As the battery pack gets fully charged under direct sun, expect higher efficacy and longer running from the fountain even under low light conditions. Look forward to a worry-free experience as solar birdbath fountain comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Most innovative and high quality
- Easy to maintain
- Attractive design
- Solar powered with battery backup
- Battery can be powered on or off for energy efficiency
- Available in one color only
Considered as one of the most popular solar birdbaths, this COSSCCI model looks great and is easy to maintain. The fountain pump with a built-in brushless motor boasts of more than 10,000 hours of service life. As no battery or electricity is needed, the pump ensures lower energy consumption and runs automatically in direct sunlight.
Thanks to the well-designed structure and lighter weight, it is easy to move the fountain to different places, as and when preferred. With just 3 seconds of exposure to sunlight, the fountain starts working automatically. There is no need to worry about how to set it up to start working or get anxious about the operating costs.
- Easy to move
- More than 10,000 hours of service life
- Cheap, efficient, and functional
- Comes with 3 sprinkle heads
- No energy in shady times
20. Evergreen Peacock Feather
Most consumers prefer this model not just because of its beautiful design, but also for its quality and functionality.
Place the glass bird bath bowl in your garden and just see your neighbors and friends gushing over it and its intricate design that matches that of nature.
With a height of just over two feet and an 11″ diameter, the birdbath bowl is sure going to be the centerpiece of your garden.
- Stunning and intricate design
- Exceptional quality
- Brilliant peacock color
- Colors may fade under direct sunlight
How Solar Birdbath Fountains Work?
Solar birdbath fountains are rapidly rising in popularity over the last few years, and for good reasons. They are not only a source of water for the avian species, but also make the garden more attractive and pleasing in appearance.
It is indeed a pretty sight to see the birds come and perch on the birdbath in your garden and enjoy their drink and bath in the fountain.
The solar birdbath fountains, as the name suggests, run on solar energy and use the sun’s energy for their working. The energy of the sun’s rays is converted into electricity, which is used to run the birdbath fountain.
The pump in the birdbath uses electricity to pump water and create the fountain, as it pushes the water to flow into the birdbath fountain.
One can adjust the position and level of the pump to maneuver the speed, pressure, and direction of the water flow.
However, the pump needs to get consistent energy from the sun to work. Once you set up the birdbath fountain, the birds will be coming in, getting attracted by the sound of the water trickling down the fountain.
A pretty solar birdbath fountain indeed looks very attractive and works wonders to beautify the garden. Apart from working as a reliable and great source of fresh water for the birds, the birdbath fountain creates a peaceful and gentle atmosphere in your garden too.
You can sit for hours in a meditative mood, looking at those birds coming in and flying out. Today, the birdbath fountains come in all sorts of models, designs, and shapes and are available in different sizes and colors.
As the birdbath fountains are solar-powered, they are definitely economical to use. Before you go ahead and buy a solar birdbath, you should be aware of the different varieties, materials, and styles available out there.
Common Materials Used For Making Birdbath Fountains
Today, you will come across a wide range of materials used to create the birdbath fountains, such as concrete, terra cotta, cast stone, clay, ceramic, metallic, resin, glass, and repurposed materials.
One can pick the material based on their preferences and how and where they would like to place the birdbath. It is essential to go for the material that blends well with the garden and outdoor décor.
Whatever construction material you would like in the bird bath fountain, it is entirely a personal choice that is made on the basis of your needs and budget.
- Some construction materials like concrete and plastic are sturdy, but they do not look that good.
- Delicate ones such as ceramic and glass look classy and beautiful, but they are brittle and do not last long.
- The metals used to create the bird bath fountains are copper or brass.
- The heavier and elaborate fountains are usually made of marble or granite.
Many buyers pick birdbath materials based on their weight and price. Often you will find birdbath fountains covered with intricated designs and patterns. Glass, stone, or shell mosaics are used for the decorations and embellishments of the birdbaths.
Many look for certain decorative elements in the bird baths so that they can match the existing accents of the outdoors. You can place tiny stones or sand underneath the bird bath fountain to create a more natural look.
Different Styles of Birdbaths
One can consider different styles of birdbath fountains, like hanging, wall-mounted, over-the-railing, and more. There are options like one-piece standing or two-piece standing, or the ones like naturally built-in or man-made birdbaths like a basin embedded in a wall or a concrete bowl in a statue. Another good idea is to create a shallow depression in a rock.
Pedestal bird baths are the conventional style and can easily blend with all kinds of outdoors. As there are several types of birdbath fountains in various styles, you can go for the one based on your preferences and needs:
- The ground model- This is the simplest model you will come across, as you will just find a basin in it that rests on the ground. Typically, shallow dishes and saucers are used for a ground birdbath. However, there are elaborate models with accessories like a fountain or dripper available too. The ground birdbaths are useful for large birds such as ducks, hens, and quails.
- The hanging model- The shallow basin of the hanging bird bath is hung from a chain or cord from a garden hook or a tree branch. There are fewer design options available in these models, but they are generally less expensive.
- The pedestal model- This model carries an elevated basin on a pedestal, and the bird bath stands on the ground. You will come across lighter and simpler models that are easy to assemble and install, while others can be bulky. The pedestal models are seen to be the most popular among bird lovers.
- The fountain model- The fountain bird bath carries the feature of moving water within the basin. The fountain is powered by a pump to create a bubbler, spray, or fountain. These are excellent bird baths that not only look very attractive, but attract more birds who come in search of water.
- The solar model- The solar-powered models are equipped with solar panels that use the sun’s rays to create energy to run the birdbath and its fountain. These models can be expensive and carry a battery for backup.
- The heated model- The heated bird baths are not meant to heat up the water, but just prevent it from freezing during the winters. The idea is to let your feathery friends enjoy a regular source of liquid water even during cold winters. These models include thermostats for energy to keep the water at the right temperature.
Birdbath Fountains With Different Fountainheads
There are birdbaths with different kinds of fountainheads designed for outdoors. There are accessories that can be used with the fountainhead to enhance the look and help it work effectively. For instance, a short nozzle in the fountainhead can create a much finer and higher stream of water.
The design, size, shapes, and overall capacity of the birdbath fountains can vary greatly. Any kind of water feature within the garden adds to the tranquility of the space, and the sight of a refreshing basin of water with a trickling fountain and birds flicking in and out indeed adds joy to our lives.
The above styles and features can vary in sizes and arrangements, but all of them have the same purpose. When the small spray in the center makes the water dribble to the deeper reservoir and over the rocks, a continuous rippling effect is formed, as the water is splashed back into the pool.
Whatever design or size you buy, look for certain features and capacities when buying one of the best solar birdbath fountains, and those are as follows.
- Tiered basins with smaller basins
- A small basin in the center of a bigger basin
- Arrangement of rocks, pots, or similar natural elements around the fountain
- Wall-mounted tiered designs
- Weeping styles where the top flows over a rock
In addition to different features and styles of birdbath fountains, one finds a huge range of options in the aesthetics as well. One of the most popular designs is the geometric ones with natural accents. You will come across both round and square basins that are the most common, but there are other geometric shapes available too.
Many bird bath fountains come with detailed carvings and decorative sculptures along the edge of the basin or the pedestal. It is common to see decorations and carvings of birds, turtles, fish, leaves, flowers, butterflies, etc. on the birdbaths. At times, there may be other accents and fanciful designs like gnomes and cats.
Today, the solar powered bird bath fountains are available in every possible color and design. You can go for intricate designs with brilliant hues or opt for the natural earth tones. It is seen that water-related shades such as white, aqua, and blue are particularly popular among customers.
While some of the fountains can be simpler, others may carry intricate designs with colorful accents. Just make sure that whatever solar bird bath fountain you buy, it meets your needs and blends well with your landscape.
Go ahead and buy one of the most beautiful bird bath fountains for your garden.
Maintenance Of A Solar Birdbath Fountain
The solar birdbath fountain indeed looks very attractive in your garden or backyard. It not only attracts birds of all kinds, but it is also environment friendly. It is great fun to watch the birds drink and bathe close by.
But remember, just buying the best solar birdbath fountains is not enough, you should also take good care of your birdbath fountain to keep it working for years.
Here are some tips to keep the solar birdbath fountain in good condition for long.
- Clean the pump on a regular basis- As it is common to find the pump getting blocked due to organic debris and dirt, it becomes essential to check them regularly and clean as and when necessary. Most pumps carry a sponge-like filter that can be removed and cleaned. If the pump looks and feels scummy, use a weak bleach solution to clean.
- Keep the water fresh and clean – It is not uncommon to see the water get dirty with bird waste and debris. Dirty water is neither good for the birds nor for the pump. So, remove the dirty water and replace it with clean, fresh water frequently. Algae build-up is common during periods of warm weather, so rinse the fountainhead and the nozzle with water in case they get blocked.
- Check the level of the water – Don’t let the water get too low and ensure that the birdbath is sufficiently deep to store enough water. Having a deeper birdbath ensures a higher volume of water, so that you do not need to refill it every now and then. Keep in mind that water can deplete because of the evaporation due to the running fountain. And if you have lots of birds coming in, the level of water can go down faster. Add more water if the water level gets low, because when the pump is not in water or if the pump runs very long without water, it can get damaged.
- Clean the solar panel – For optimum performance, clean the solar panel with the help of a glass cleaner and a soft sponge.
If you understand your birdbath fountain well, how it works, and what precautions to take, it becomes easier to take care of it. Before you start using the fountain, it is essential to read the instructions carefully and know how to take the right steps for its proper functioning.
Here are some general precautions to follow.
- Always install the birdbath fountain at an even level, as it should not be placed on any uneven surface with bumps.
- It is a good idea to discontinue the use of the fountain before freezing weather arrives. Store it away during the extreme winters and ensure that it is cleaned and dries completely before storing it.
- When choosing a bird bath, one should focus on the accents and characteristics that would be useful for them and the birds.
- Those birdbaths with a wider lip do offer more perching space for the birds, but keep in mind that they can look less attractive. A depth of 1-2 inches is considered the most ideal for a birdbath, but there are models available with more depth too.
- When you choose a bird bath, it is important to understand how many different types of bird baths are available. With so many diverse designs, various sizes, and decorative styles, there is a solar birdbath that is just perfect for every garden.
It is very easy and simple to set up the best solar birdbath fountains. Just find the right birdbath for your garden and add it to your outdoor space. Place your solar birdbath where you can see it easily and enjoy the show of the birds coming in and out.
FAQs on Solar Bird Baths
1. Will The Solar Bird Bath Run All Year Round?
Well, you just need the weather to be bright and sunny for the solar birdbath to work all year. However, if you have long periods of cooler months with freezing temperatures that leave your area dark and foggy for days, you can expect the solar birdbath to slow down a bit.
Its performance is also affected by places, weather, and seasons. But if you live in an area that enjoys sunlight the whole year-round, you can expect the solar birdbath to run during all months.
2. The Solar Birdbath Fountain Is Slightly Covered Up In The Shade. Why Does It Not Work Even Though It Is Getting Sunlight?
The solar panel holds multiple small solar cells that absorb the sunlight and create energy. Each of those dark-blue squares is combined in a series and carries its own voltage and amperage.
When one small part of the solar panel is devoid of sunlight while the entire series of solar cells add up the voltage, it does not receive the needed amperage, leading to drop in the power. This is why the solar panels should always be placed in a bright, sunny area of the garden.
3. How Long Do The Batteries In A Solar Birdbath Fountain Last?
The life of a battery generally lasts for more than a year, and its lifecycle relies on the discharge cycles and goes down with repeated charge.
One good way of boosting the battery is to leave the solar panel in the bright sun for a couple of days and allow the battery to charge maximum. In case you find that the battery is not charging fully, it is time to replace it.
4. How Long Does The Solar Pump Last?
The solar pumps can last for two or more years, and its life depends on many factors. However, the major factor that impacts the lifecycle of a solar pump is its regular maintenance and cleanliness. The key factor here is to clean the pump regularly and properly.
With the right care, the pump’s life can extend to about four years.
5. How To Switch From Solar Mode To Battery Mode In A Birdbath Fountain?
Well, you may find different options in different models, but the most common method is via a switch or button that changes the solar mode to battery mode in the fountain. There are some models in which the switch over takes place automatically when there is no sunlight available.
6. Is It Okay To Use Bigger Solar Panels To Power The Birdbath Fountain Faster?
Usually, the bigger solar panels are not compatible with the solar birdbath fountains, and therefore are not recommended. Moreover, the fountain pump is rated for a specific power current, and if the current exceeds, the pump may burn.
However, one can use bigger solar panels to charge the batteries, but only when the fountain is off. You can leave the panel turned off for a day and let the batteries get fully charged before they are ready to use.
Create An Oasis In Your Garden with Solar Birdbath Fountain
Nothing could be more relaxing than the sound of flowing water in your garden and the chirping birds. Create a beautiful view ahead by buying one of the best solar birdbath fountains and relax in your garden, looking at the pretty fountain surrounded by birds.
As solar birdbath fountains are environment friendly and energy-efficient, you can make a wonderful addition to your garden or backyard without worrying about boosted electricity bills.
Those trickling fountains indeed add a rhythm to the atmosphere. Enjoy both landscaping and birdwatching with these simple eco-friendly structures that sustain the local feathered friends. Watch those birds as they come in for a drink or rinse themselves off.
Select from a wide range of shapes, colors, and designs and take good care of the birdbath. You can easily buy good quality solar birdbath fountains from local bird supply stores and garden centers. Or, you can browse online where you are sure to come across a much wider variety of sizes and designs with leading retailers.
Based on the model, size, intricacy, and quality, the price of fountains can range from $100 to $200. Be sure to check the quality of the product, investigate warranty offers, and read reviews before you make the final choice.